WE ARE LEADING ADVANCEMENTS
The last decade has seen tremendous advances in the field of minimally invasive and laparoscopic surgery in gynecology and reproductive medicine. As a result of new instrumentation and technologies available to the advanced gynecologic laparoscopist, hysterectomies and other major surgeries can often be avoided without compromising the effectiveness of treatments.
At IVFMD, our physicians have contributed to the advancement of operative gynecology, as well as microsurgical laparoscopy, and are proactively educating international colleagues in these techniques. Our teaching video – produced by the Ethicon Endosurgical Division of Johnson and Johnson – is being used worldwide to help familiarize other physicians with this technique.
One of the many surgical advances pioneered by our physicians utilizes microsurgical techniques for the reversal of a tubal ligation via laparoscope. A thin telescope is inserted into the abdomen through a small incision, providing a direct look into the abdominal cavity. The advantages of a laparoscopy, as compared to more invasive surgeries, include:
- Reduced or no hospitalization
- Smaller incisions
- Unrestricted and only minimally uncomfortable mobility within two to three days
- Much shorter recovery periods
- Less noticeable scarring
IVFMD proudly offers outpatient laparoscopic procedures for treatments including:
- Myomectomies (removal of uterine fibroid tumors)
- Ovarian cystectomies (excision of cysts)
- Endometriosis treatments
- Ovarian ablations (including treatment of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or PCOS)
- Presacral neurectomies (removal of specific nerve tissue to treat chronic pelvic pain)
- Tubal reanastomosis (reversal of tubal sterilization)
- Most other types of tubal and pelvic reconstructive surgeries
A hysteroscope is a thin, telescope-like instrument that is inserted into the uterus through the vagina and cervix and allows the surgeon to visualize and treat some abnormalities inside the uterus. If a hysterectomy is deemed necessary, our physicians are often able to perform it laparoscopically, thereby limiting hospitalization to a short, 48-hour stay. In the area of hysteroscopy, our physicians frequently perform:
- Endometrial ablations (destruction of the uterine lining to treat excessive bleeding)
- Uterine fibroid resections (removal of fibroids from inside the uterine cavity)
- Reconstruction of uterine abnormalities, such as the removal of a septum, excision of adhesions (scar tissue) and polyps, and tubal recanalization procedures (re-opening fallopian tubes that are blocked where they enter the uterine cavity)
Through our affiliation with South Florida’s premier hospitals – including Baptist Health Systems, Memorial Health Systems and Doctors Hospital Health South – we are able to offer comprehensive package arrangements to patients who are not covered by health care insurance and those coming to IVFMD for medical care from out of town.
I was told to have a hysterectomy; do I have other options?
Always get a second opinion. To preserve the uterus, we offer reconstructive surgery and minimally invasive procedures.
For more information, please fill out our online contact form or call us toll free at 1 (866) 483-6366.